Passionate about sustainability and adventure sports? 11th Hour Racing Team is looking for an experienced creative and visionary Communications Director to join our campaign to win The Ocean Race 2021-22 and inspire positive change around the world to help restore the health of our oceans.
About 1 Degree & 11th Hour Racing Team
Co-founded by America’s leading offshore sailors Charlie Enright and Mark Towill, 1 Degree is a professional sailing team dedicated to winning the world’s premier around-the-world sailing race, The Ocean Race. Passionate eco-athletes, Mark and Charlie have set out on a mission to leave a legacy within the sport of sailing focused on sustainability. Together, they were key influencers in The Ocean Race’s shift to becoming a sustainable premiere sporting event and have partnered with 11th Hour Racing as the Team’s title sponsor for The Ocean Race 2021-22. Registered as 11th Hour Racing Team for the 2021-22 campaign, sustainability is at the core of the Team’s operations. We will use the Team as a platform to raise awareness of environmental issues and work to restore the health of our oceans, promoting the message of sustainable solutions and ocean health to millions of fans, sailors, and audiences worldwide.
Full-time position, June 2020 through August 2022
May work remotely from any location leading up to The Ocean Race (preference to the US or Europe) with intermittent travel for team events, then travel with the team along the race route during The Ocean Race (September 2021 through end of June 2022).
May 15, 2020
- Work closely with the larger communications team (Digital Media and Content Directors) to develop the overall communications campaign for the Team and execute programs to deliver communications objectives.
- Bring a fresh and relatable style to our sustainability messaging! Building the Team’s image and brand as a leader in sustainability and sport that resonates with our audiences. This role will be responsible for leading the sustainability communications strategy and messaging to raise awareness on ocean health issues and inspire change amongst coastal communities, the marine industry and Team’s followers with the support of the communications and sustainability teams.
- Manage all PR responsibilities – including but not limited to all external team communications sent to the public, media relations, and maximizing impact and reach of sustainability and sailing content.
- Support activations of the Team’s sponsors, suppliers and partners to maximize exposure and value of partnerships.
- Lead and oversee external communications and public and media relations.
- In conjunction with the Digital Media Director develop and execute communications strategy, message development, pitch and announcement strategies.
- Maintain a detailed shared online editorial calendar in collaboration with other members of the communications team.
- Seek, organize and report on public speaking engagements for Team members to showcase sustainability through traditional sports, business, and media conferences, etc, prioritizing unique opportunities that maximize reach and impact.
- Brief, fact check, and offer the support needed to build and secure competency for Team spokespeople.
- Analyze communications trends to assist with the Team’s communications campaign strategy and development.
- Maintain and execute a communications crisis plan.
- Provide media and communications training to media-facing team members as needed. When applicable organize professional media training events with 3rd party consultants.
- Deliver a detailed weekly progress report to the Team’s Commercial Director.
- Track external media analytics through Cision and work with communications team to deliver quarterly and annual communications reports to sponsors.
Sponsor and Other Relations
- Closely collaborate with the Team title sponsor and additional sponsors, suppliers and partners to execute the communications and public relations contractual deliverables; maintain a positive and engaging relationship with the Team sponsors.
- Maintain close relations with the communications teams of other stakeholders such as, but not limited to: The Ocean Race, event organizers, and others as applicable.
- Engage proactively with media representatives within sustainability, sailing, sport and lifestyle sectors to build trusted relations and maximize media opportunities.
- Manage and organize all media requests and interviews, press conferences, round tables at events and stopovers of The Ocean Race, and all media events.
- Maintain and develop an extensive list of international media contacts including but not limited to print, online, radio, podcasts, freelancers and social media influencers.
- Write and send targeted media pitches with the goal of earning regular media exposure at the local, national and international levels.
- Develop and implement a paid media strategy, if applicable.
- Responsible for all written content including, but not limited to media stories, press releases, newsletters, sustainability content, media pitches, communications reports, website stories, Team presentations for speaking engagements, Team quotes, opinion/editorial pieces for news outlets etc.
- Collaborate and support the sustainability team in identifying key and interesting sustainability and ocean-related topics to be actively communicated and leveraged through communications and engagement opportunities.
- Closely collaborate and support the Digital Media Director to successfully deliver the campaigns across all the Team’s channels.
- Represent the Team with integrity and treat all team members and their families, sponsors, race officials and staff, and competitors with respect.
- Engage in sustainability training and events, and follow the Team’s sustainability policy and incorporate sustainability into everyday business, including but not limited to: refusing single-use plastics, carrying a reusable water bottle and coffee mug, composting when possible.
- Contribute to creating a positive and collaborative team environment.
- Uphold the Team’s NDA policy and not share any confidential information.
- Strive for excellence, always.
- Wear team clothing whenever on-site with the Team and at team events.
- Be on time and have fun!
Minimum Ability, Skill & Knowledge Requirements:
- Has a creative and visionary approach to communications.
- Has extensive experience in communicating about sport to a broad range of audiences and through a variety of platforms.
- Has understanding and a strong interest in sustainability.
- Has an understanding of sailing and racing, and a passion for sport.
- Demonstrates strong written, verbal and storytelling skills.
- Is able to speak, read, and write effectively in English (French and Spanish is a plus).
- Displays excellent leadership and management skills.
- Demonstrates exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and as a team.
- Possesses strong organizational abilities and is highly detail-oriented.
- Is able to work with tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Has the flexibility to work simultaneously on a wide range of projects and the ability to prioritize tasks, manage time effectively, and meet deadlines.
Minimum Previous Experience, Training and Education:
- The position requires a minimum of 6+ experience in a relevant field.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, English or a related field, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position.
- Additional background or formal education in sport marketing, and/or marine or ocean sciences, environmental studies, or similar disciplines is a plus.
- Experience in leading the development of effective campaigns on specific topics.
- Knowledge of ocean and marine industries strongly preferred.
- Sailing and sailboat racing experience helpful.
- Excellent word processing skills and fluency with MS Office, Google Suite, and online media databases (ie. Cision).
Working Environment/Minimum Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the required job functions. While performing the duties of this position, one is regularly required to talk, hear and communicate via email. The majority of the job duties are performed indoors in a home office or on the Team’s base. In some circumstances, the team member will be required to perform some job duties outside at various Team events and may lift objects up to 25 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Commitment to Diversity:
1 Degree fosters an inclusive team of diverse, motivated and informed leaders in sailing and sustainability. 1 Degree is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
The application period will be open through May 15, 2020. Apply for the position here, please upload your CV and cover letter in PDF format and be sure to include at least three writing samples.